RayChristian Church |
The organization of a Christianchurch denomination in the village of Ray followed a series of tabernaclemeetings held there by Rev. D. E. Hughes, pastor of the First Christianchurch in Rushville, in the fall of 1895. Unusual interest was shown inthe meeting conducted by Rev. Hughes, and scores of persons from the surroundingcommunity were converted and administered the rites of baptism as a resultof the meetings.
Following the close of themeetings a Sunday school was organized, and regular sessions were heldin the village school building until the erection of the new Christianchurch was completed in the year 1896, and the dedicatory sermon was preachedby Rev. D. E. Hughes.
The church, under the guidinghands of a group of interested men and women, thrived, and the attendanceat Sunday school grew by leaps and bounds, the classes being composed ofolder residents as well as the children of the community.
A number of noted ministersserved the pastorate, among them being Rev. George C. Ross, Rev. H. C.Littleton, and Rev. Fred Wilson.
After the church had beenfunctioning nicely for several years, it was struck by lightning and burned,to the regret of the entire community. Later a church was erected on theold church site, and regular services held there for a time, or until theremoval of many families from the community, when the congregation diminishedto such extent that the church was abandoned and was afterward wreckedand sold for a residence.
The Rushville Times,October 7, 1948
The Rushville Timesby permission.Copyright 1999-2006 Judi Gilker; all rights reserved. For personal use only. Commercialuse of the information contained in these pages is strictly prohibitedwithout prior permission. If copied, this copyright must appear with theinformation.